REACH isn't just a chemical industry issue - it has the potential to affect all manufacturers. Our new guidance helps you understand your obligations and our Substance Alert service helps you keep up-to-date with the latest developments.
REACH is the European Union’s chemicals Regulation that aims to ensure a high protection of human health and the environment from chemical substances. It obliges manufacturers of substances and products to assess the risks posed from their various uses and detail how to use them safely. As such, it relies heavily on communication up and down the supply chain.
Certain substances will require explicit permission before they can be used and restrictions may be placed on the use of other substances. If substances which are considered potentially dangerous are in products, you must let your customers (and possibly the European Chemicals Agency) know.
It is a common perception that REACH is a chemical industry issue. But this is incorrect: In fact, it has the potential to affect all manufacturers, workshops and craftsmen that use or import substances and materials, either alone or in mixtures. It even affects manufacturers that assemble imported components into products that are eventually placed on the European market.
This group of chemical users are referred to as “downstream users”. If you are a downstream user of chemicals, there are specific legal obligations that will apply to you and there are specific business continuity risks that you need to be alert to.
Our new guidance on REACH for manufacturers, and a summary of your legal obligations as a user of substances in products, is now available to download.
What are the potential risks to my business?
- Disrupted supply as a result of substances being withdrawn from the market
- Potential product disruption if substances are subject to restrictions or bans
- Reputational damage with customers by failing to comply with REACH disclosure requirements
- Loss of business and the threat of fines and prosecution if the legal requirements of REACH are not upheld
If you are affected by REACH, we can help you manage your obligations...
Substance Alert Service
The number of substances coming under regulatory control is increasing regularly – and is expected to carry on doing so for a number of years. It is a complicated and convoluted process. Our Substance Alert service will make sure you are aware of:
- which substances are coming under the authorities' attention
- when you can raise objections to their plans and how you can contribute to consultations
- when new legal obligations come into force which require you to notify your customers and the authorities of the presence of certain substances
- when you have an opportunity to request permission to continue to use business critical substances that are set to be banned by the European Commission.
Designed for manufacturers, our Substance Alert service will keep you abreast of developments so you can minimise risks to your business.
Seminars on environmental policy and REACH
We regularly hold environmental policy updates and seminars as well as REACH-specific events around the country.
Our next series of REACH-specific seminars will focus on future-proofing your products from the impact of REACH and will be held later this year. Further details will be published soon.
If you want to be notified of forthcoming events, just complete our feedback form.
We also offer a range of consultancy services to assist you with your environmental impact and requirements. We can help you understand your obligations and risks under REACH, in particular, how restrictions can affect your business and supply chain.
If you'd like to know more, just ask us about our consultancy services.