As a world leader in the design, manufacture and installation of weighing and packing line solutions, Ishida has an in-depth understanding of many diverse industries – from meat to confectionery, from snacks to frozen food and more. Ishida Europe has its headquarters in Birmingham, UK, and serves Europe, the Middle East and Africa (EMEA). We have wholly-owned Ishida sales companies in 9 countries, and committed, experienced agents and distributors in a further 15 countries. Innovative weighing and packaging equipment plus complete line solutions for these territories are developed and constructed in our UK manufacturing facility.
We are seeking to employ, train and develop eleven Engineering apprentices in 2019 three of which will be Technical Product Design Engineers split between advanced and higher apprenticeships.
As a technical apprentice, you will be highly trained to work in the world of Engineering and Manufacturing in the Food Industry Sector the world’s leading supplier of Food Packaging Machines and Equipment.
The initial training and development will be broad based leading to a first appointment as a Technical Design Engineer focused in Product Design. This role will involve utilising in house software to develop and design machine lines to be installed at customer sites.
The roles mentioned above will feature a range different engineering activities aligned to the job roles with a detailed development plan for the four years of their apprenticeship programme.
This will involve:
- In year 1, you will spend 4 days per week at EEF and 1 day at Ishida within the design department.
- In years 2 – 4, ,you will get the opportunity to spend time in multiple departments to gain an understanding of the products and the new automation project as well as taking ownership of design tasks and projects.
- Working in a range of planned departments developing and building their engineering skills and knowledge.
- Aligned to the apprentice programme there will be an educational development pathway, which will provide the engineering theory and knowledge.
- Each apprentice will have a dedicated work mentor with planned regular reviews to support their progression.
- The range of tasks will cover anything from product build, to customer visits, project tasks, to name a few.
- The type of working environment or style is one of “Team work” where collaboration, engagement, positive challenges where the individual can demonstrate their skills and abilities to make a difference.
- You will take part in Ishida’s coveted Exchange Programme, whose motto is “Knowledge Only Grows When Shared” where you will be given the opportunity to spend time at your old school, at suppliers, clients or in Special Projects or even in your own community.
Successful completion of the Ishida Apprenticeship may then lead to further sponsorship to HNC, HND Foundation Degree or full Degree courses. Many of our Apprentices progress to senior roles in the Business.
At the end of your apprenticeship you will be in an ideal position to develop your career within Ishida. If you want to progress up the career ladder, you could take on the people management responsibilities and develop into a management position be this in engineering or the commercial side of our business.
Or you could choose a technical route and take on extra duties and responsibilities. It doesn't have to stop there, your skills, drive and determination will open up many exciting opportunities with the Ishida group.
Training to be provided
- Engineering Basic Skills training – off the job full time EEF Technology Training Centre
- NVQ Level 3
- A Technical Certificate (BTEC Diploma Level 3)
- Outward Bound – team working skills – 1 week away from home and work
- In house training in Solidworks and product line training
- Employment Rights and Responsibilities
- Personal, learning and thinking skills award
- Essential - 5 GCSEs at 9 – 4 / A* - C (5 or above preferred), must include Maths, English and Science, or equivalent related qualification.
- BTEC Level 3 Engineering or A-Levels in Maths, Engineering and Science related subjects are required for entry on to the Higher Apprenticeship or to begin studying for your HNC or foundation degree.
Things to consider
We expect all our employees to have high levels of commitment with a strong work ethic. At Ishida Europe, we enable our people to strive for success through continuous learning and development. This means that promising young employees have the chance to rise through the ranks quickly.
This apprenticeship programme will start on 29th July 2019, when you will spend 6 weeks integrating into Ishida before beginning your studies at EEF on the 9th September. You will spend 4 days per week at EEF, returning to Ishida each Friday throughout the first year of your apprenticeship.
You can meet with the Ishida Apprentice Team at the EEF Open Days on 25th January or 9th February. To find out more or to book a place please phone the EEF Apprentice Recruitment Team on 0121 344 7900.
Ishida Apprentices will have annual salary increases throughout their 4 year of the apprenticeship programme, as learning objectives are met. At the end of your successful completed apprenticeship programme it is planned that you will exit into that designated job role with the appropriate salary.