Founded in 2000, Vacuum & Atmosphere Services Ltd started with just two, ex Ipsen Abar UK engineers. Firstly to offer a service to vacuum & atmosphere furnaces, & then to offer the complete service package to the heat treatment industry, from bespoke new furnaces to spare parts.
During the rapid expansion VAS were forced to move 4 times within the 15 years of trading. Now working out of a 12,000 sq. ft factory unit based in West Bromwich, VAS have a complete in-house spares department, fabrication facility & material handling facility to deal with all enquires & projects that may be required by the heat treatment industry.
We are seeking to employ and train two field service apprentices. You will be highly trained to work in the world of engineering, the initial training will be broad based leading to a first appointment as a field service engineer.
To complete the required academic and practical training requirements of the engineering apprenticeship as provided for by the Company’s nominated training provider in order to successfully achieve a Level 3 qualification
A Field Service Engineer will be expected to complete scheduled maintenance, machine commissioning and emergency breakdown call outs at customer sites. The most successful field service engineers can demonstrate confidence and calmness in a, sometimes, volatile environment. They must also be happy to spend time travelling to customer sites so a full drivers license would be a definite bonus, although if you are working towards this, your application may be considered.
- To gain knowledge and understanding of other aspects of the Company’s operations by participating in Company assigned training / projects as part of the Apprentice Development Programme
- Gain hands on operational experience on all aspects of field engineering by assisting a Field Service Engineer to minimise downtime on fault call outs and respond promptly and efficiently to fault call outs.
- To achieve a satisfactory level of competence to carry out first and second line maintenance on any equipment as contracted by VAS.
- To accurately fill in timesheets and complete reports required by VAS management.
- To assist with the installation or commissioning of equipment as required by VAS management.
- To ensure that all relevant working practices comply with the statutory Health and Safety at Work Act and with the and other external customer requirements as applicable.
- To achieve a satisfactory level of competence in order to carry out repairs to module level on site and component level in the workshop.
- To assist with the delivery and/or collection of equipment modules from site to VAS or other locations as required.
- To assist with stock control or fault control if deemed necessary by VAS management.
- To aim at achieving and maintaining standards of quality compatible with ISO 9002.
- Comply with VAS’s Quality Management System, Occupational Health, Safety and Environment policies and procedures
- Comply with security in accordance with established policies and procedures of the organisations you attend
Training to be provided
Engineering Basic Skills training – off the job full time
NVQ level 3
A Technical Certificate (BTEC Diploma Level 3)
Employment Rights and Responsibilities
Personal, learning and thinking skills award
Functional Skills at level 2 in English, Maths and ICT, as required
To apply, click here and send us your up-to-date CV
- A minimum of 3 GCSE's or equivalent Grade C/4 and above in Maths, English and a Science
- A Full Drivers License is essential from the beginning of Year 3.
Once qualified you will get:
- A Company car
- Mobile Phone
- Credit Card
- £30 expenses for each night you are away from home.