With over 10 years’ experience working predominantly with EEF’s HR business support services, CDA earlier this year upgraded their EEF membership to cover its Health and Safety needs, which arose as a result of a significant growth period.
Over the last five years, the business has doubled not only its turnover, but also its staff, meaning a thorough revamp of its procedures became necessary.
CDA opened discussions with EEF to determine the right Health and Safety support needed to ensure the company stays safety focused and compliant. A plan was put in place that saw EEF Health and Safety consultant David Townsend working with CDA at their premises once a week to establish an in depth strategy that included support and training.
As part of this plan, EEF:
- Provided CDA with the right support to ensure compliance across there H&S practices
- Gave them a reassuring hand to help them remain compliant
- Helped review CDA’s risk assessment process covering core areas, as well as their Health and Safety policies
- Helped CDA re-establish their Health and Safety committee at operational level
- Implemented ‘near miss’ reporting which included getting buy-in from all CDA staff and encouraging them to take part in the wider responsibility of Health and Safety across the business, best practice and compliance
- Delivered IOSH managing safely training
“The support we’ve received from EEF has been brilliant. David has really challenged not only to make Health and Safety a business-wide responsibility, but also to ensure our processes and systems improve to ensure we are safe and compliant.”
Steve Corbett, CDA Marketing Manager and IOSH training delegate
The immediate changes CDA have implemented are new procedures that ensure the business’ safety evaluations are thorough and fully compliant. Additionally, a training programme is already underway for Managers and other stakeholders to gain IOSH certification. This includes two CDA directors undertaking the IOSH Safety for Senior Executives training and the roll out of the IOSH Managing Safely course.
“We are ultimately working towards having a safer environment with a better company wide commitment to safety. Health and Safety is now a key agenda item for committee meetings, and business wide colleagues are talking about it and taking responsibility for its success. This all supports CDA’s longer term business goals by ensuring a safe, productive environment”
CDA are a Nottinghamshire based company offering high quality kitchen appliances since 1991. CDA’s manufacturing site incorporates a state of the art testing laboratory, warehousing facilities, an in-house customer service centre as well as a national fleet of engineers, forming part of the 200 strong CDA workforce. They are also part of the Amica Group, which operates in 50 countries worldwide and has over 70 years’ experience in the kitchen appliance manufacturing industry.